A history of Winsham, its historic buildings and Estates

Index
(Select and click on picture)

 

A History of Winsham 

This gallery contains a number of items relating to the  history of the village.

Domesday

 

 

Historic Buildings and Estates
Leigh House
Built between 1590 &1617, for three hundred years it was the home of the Henley family. This gallery contains a great deal of information about the building and the history of the Henley family.
Cricket St. Thomas Estate
With its roots in Norman England, the estate has experienced many changes. Now no longer part of Winsham Parish, historically it was always a major influence on the life of the parish, and is still the source of some employment.
Forde Abbey
Originally a Cistercian Abbey, it survived the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII to become a handsome private estate that has been owned by the Roper family for many years. Not part of Winsham Parish, historically it has always been a major influence on the life of the Parish.

Forde Abbey
Jubilee Hall
Built by Lord Bridport in 1887 as a Reading Room, he gave it to the village, in celebration of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It now serves as the Village Hall. It is a beautiful example of late Victorian architecture, with a fine vaulted wood ceiling.


 

 

Charlton Cottage
A small village house dating back to Tudor times, it is an example of how village homes have adapted to changing needs, while maintaining many old features

Click HERE to return to main  Browse menu.

Click HERE to return to Site Map